There may be various reasons why you would want to convert a QBX file into a QBW file. One important reason could be that a client has sent you a file with the .qbx extension and you are now unable to either open the file or access it. Another reason for you to want this conversion could be that due to some accidental error, your critical QuickBooks Company File is Damaged, and even worse, there is no backup for the same except for the regular .qba or company .qbx file. Either way, you will need to make the conversion. QBW extension. In this post, we are going to discuss how the QBX file into a QBW file conversion process works. If you want to know about all QuickBooks File Extension List and type of QuickBooks Backup File Extension check full description by team of MyOnePro.
What is a QuickBooks QBX File?
A QBX file is a QuickBooks company file accountant transfer copy. You can’t modify the format of a company file while adding journal notes. In case the client sends a QBX formatted file, you need to convert it to a Company file (QBW) or Accountant’s copy file(QBA) to use. You can convert the file saved in the active version of QuickBooks/the year prior. Learn more about QuickBooks Accountant Copy create, share in easy way.
What is a QuickBooks QBW File?
QBW file in QuickBooks is known as a financial data file generated by the QuickBooks finance management system. During the data file condense process, QuickBooks will generate an individual QBW file named Archive copy XX/XX/200X followed by QBW file name. This file is an original copy of the company file prior to the condensing process. Moreover, the file is useful to find the information related to the removed data during the condense process. The condensed process forcefully prompts a message to create a backup of the file(QBB).
QBX File To QBW File Conversion Process Step By Step
- Open your accountant’s copy which will show the.QBX extension and create a backup before making the conversion.
- Go to the File menu. Choose “Send Company File” and then select “Accountant’s Copy”.
- Choose “Convert Accountant’s Copy to Company File/QBW”.
- Now, press “OK” to confirm that you want to go ahead with the conversion.
- Next, open the folder you want to save . QBW file in, and rename the file. Choose “Save”.
- Finally, once the conversion is over, press “OK” to confirm.
Keep in mind that once you have converted your .qbx file into a .qbw file, you have to re-enter any changes you made to the original company file after creating the accountant’s copy. Additionally, you can no longer import an accountant’s changes (.QBY).
Issues and Error Converting QBX To QBW
One of the most common issues or QuickBooks Error that you encounter while trying to convert a .QBX file to .QBW file is an error message stating “The filename you entered is too long or is not a valid filename.”
This happens because a company file name cannot have more than 28 characters in its file name. Additionally, the full path of the file cannot have more than 128 characters.
Additional you have to learn more about QuickBooks Company File Repair services by MyOnePro or you can use the QuickBooks Component Repair Tool for fixing file damages and corruption.
To fix this, you have to:
- Reduce the length of the computer file name to less than 28 characters.
- Copy the file to another location like your Desktop or C:\ drive.
You should copy the file to your desktop or C:\ drive also if it is on an external USB drive.
Converting a QBX file into a QBW file is extremely important if you wish to access the file or make alterations. And, to do that, you have to follow the steps as discussed in the post. However, if you are unable to make the conversion due to an error message or any other problems, you must not avoid it and get in touch with our expert team of support professionals right away. You can contact QuickBooks Support team either via phone call or via email.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it necessary to know the difference between a .QBX file and a .QBW file before opening a .QBX file in QuickBooks?
Yes, it is extremely important to know the exact difference between the two extensions of the QuickBooks file. When you first start working with QuickBooks, you create a bunch of Company Files that are with the .qbw extension. These files should not be copy-pasted, cut, or anyway altered. However, a file with a .qbx extension is a transfer file made by the accountant. You can only insert journals in these files but if you want to make any other changes, you have to change it to a normal .qba file.
How to create a .QBX (accountant’s copy) file?
The steps to creating an Accountant’s Copy (.QBX) are as follows:
1. Choose File >> Send Company File.
2. Choose Accountant’s Copy >> Client Activities >> Save File
3. Choose a dividing date.
4. Click Next.
5. (Optional) Change the suggested location for the file and the filename that QuickBooks suggests for the Accountant’s Copy. The file must have a .qbx extension. You need to choose the desired location of where you will save the Accountant’s Copy.
6. Click Save.
7. Give the Accountant’s Copy transfer file (.qbx) to your accountant and continue to work.
Get in touch QuickBooks USA Support team for more details.
What steps should be followed to convert a .QBX file to .QBW in the QuickBooks Premier version ?
The steps to convert.QBX to .QBW is the same for QuickBooks Premier as well as Pro and Accountant version irrespective of which year the software belongs to.
How to Create a Backup of Your QuickBooks File ?
To manually backup your QuickBooks file before you make the conversion, follow these steps:
1. Open the QuickBooks
2. Click on the File menu
3. Choose Switch to Single-user mode option
4. Hit on the File menu again
5. Select Backup Company button
6. Click on the Create Local Backup option
7. In the Window, choose the Local Backup button and click on the Next button
8. Click on Browse the “local Backup Only Section Window”
9. Hit the File option again and click on the Backup Company option
10. Choose “Create Local Backup button “
11. Click the Browse option where you need to save the backup company file
12. Now set the backup number you need to keep
13. This will run a test to ensure the backup file
14. Once you are prepared hit on OK
15. Click on the Save it now button
16. Hit OK
we have a audit here to check a company data from 2013. we do have QB file(QBW), but we dont have the Quickbooks admin for resetting the password. do you know if there is way to ship the password and username to read the data? I can do that, but i want to make sure that if it can read the file without user name and password?
I’m trying to open an exported QBB file in excel without quickbooks,I’m taking over a service as an executive manager and the prior service provided the file without further details – and I neglected to ask., trying to follow the instructions in the article about “open qbb file without quickbooks”
Do you have a trial version of QB for PC that will open a 2009 QB Pro Mac company file? It’s a .qbb file. I have a 2019 QBD Windows trial running on my PC but it won’t open the .qbb file.,There are legacy versions out there – you just don’t have them. I’m running the 2019 trial version right now
i have a qbw. report that i need to open in quickbooks, how do i do that? using QB 2022 can i import a pdf report to quickbooks?
can a 2021 program convert a 2022 qbx file t a qba ,