Inuit has always been very clear about its QuickBooks discontinuation policy, which states that a software version will stop receiving important security updates and stop working with add-on services provided by the company after 3 years. This year, for instance, QuickBooks 2018 will expire and stop receiving these critical updates.
QuickBooks Discontinuation Policy
The official discontinuation policy states that QuickBooks 2018 will stop receiving critical security updates and not work with add-on services provided by Intuit after May 31, 2021. This holds true for all versions of QuickBooks Desktop including Pro, Premier, and Enterprise.
QuickBooks 2018 will continue to work, but you won’t be able to use it with add-on services including Payroll. Also, users won’t have the option to subscribe to live technical and customer support and any of the integratable services provided by Intuit.
Apart from the Desktop version of QuickBooks, a few other services are impacted by this discontinuation as well.
What Versions of QuickBooks 2018 are Affected by its Sunset?
QuickBooks 2018 Discontinued will not be supported after the end of its life cycle, below-mentioned versions of QuickBooks will not be supported.
- QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2018
- All editions of the QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2018 (General Business, Contractor, Manufacturing & Wholesale, Nonprofit, Professional Services, and Retail)
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 18
- QB Premier Accountant Edition 2018
- QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 12.0 payments service (from April 27, 2021)
Get a Free User Guide “Why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2023”
Headache Huh, Looking to Upgrade from Your Current Version of QuickBooks?. But frustrated which version will be best suited according to your need. Don’t worry, Get a comprehensive list of reasons, why you should upgrade to the QuickBooks 2023 version.
Get these 20 tips on why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2023.
What are the Additional Services that will be Affected by QuickBooks Desktop 2018 Service Discontinuation?
Below is a list of features that stop working as soon as the QuickBooks 2018 product is expired.
- All versions of the Intuit Payroll (Basic, Standard, Enhanced, or Assisted) are only available to certain users.
- QB2018 cannot be used to process workers’ comp payments.
- QuickBooks Workforce, the payroll software previously known as ViewMyPaycheck, will not be available to you or your employees.
- The user’s business payments can’t be seen in a live feed.
- QuickBooks Merchant Service will securely store all types of payment information.
- Recurring payments and e-invoicing will no longer be available, starting December 15th.
- You will no longer be able to contact QuickBooks Support with any legal questions. You, however, can still renew your current annual plan before the end of its term.
- Users cannot send their accountant’s copy of their company file to another accountant via the account copy file transfer service.
- Unrecoverable errors could be found by using cloud-based services like online backup and online banking.
- Reports under the Contributed tab can no longer be accessible.
- Intuit will no longer back up QuickBooks files and folders in Intuit Data Protect.
- QuickBooks Time will be not available to QB 2018 users.
- The QuickBooks 1099 wizard is not available to the users because they do not have the latest version of QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks email service for emailing invoices will not be available after the discontinuation.
- No exchange rate info and multi-currency options will be available to the user.
- Third-party add-ons like TSheets, Fishbowl, Avalara Avatax, Bill.com, etc., will no longer connect to QuickBooks 2018.
What to Do when QuickBooks 2018 is Discontinued?
There are two options that users retain at this moment. To Continue or To Upgrade If you aren’t using add-on services provided by Intuit, then you can continue using QuickBooks 2018. However, if you want integration with addon services including Payroll, then you must upgrade your version of QuickBooks.
Its better to switch to QuickBooks Cloud Hosting if user does,t want to go all time for upgrade process and data conversion after QB desktop expiration .
Which QuickBooks Version Should I Upgrade To?
The best option currently available to users is QuickBooks 2021. By upgrading to the latest edition, you get three years to simply use the accounting software with integrated services and live technical support. Moreover, user can Download QuickBooks USA 2021 edition or go for Canadian QuickBooks Download 2021 whenever the user can see the notification to upgrade in their dashboard.
Migration QB Pro, Premier, Enterprise 2018 To 2021
The process to Upgrade QuickBooks 2018 to QuickBooks 2021 is quite easy. To upgrade your accounting software, follow the steps provided below:
- From the Help menu, select Upgrade QuickBooks.
- Select Upgrade Now, and then the version of QuickBooks you want to upgrade to.
- Click on Upgrade now.
- In case you want to use the current version of QuickBooks, mark ‘Keep old version on my Computer’.
- Click on Let’s Go.
- After the upgrade process is complete, Install and Register your product. Moreover still user needs to follow all Instruction QuickBooks 2021 Installation carefully its be like first or fresh process.
Upgrade Tool Moving QuickBooks 2018 To QuickBooks 2021
The upgrade tool will automatically activate the new version of QuickBooks. However, in rare instances, if the upgrade tool fails to activate QuickBooks 2021, then you need to manually enter the product and license numbers to activate the product. The product and license numbers can be retrieved from either the registered email address or your Intuit account.
Now you can open the company file in QuickBooks 2021, and it will automatically be automated.
Intuit will stop providing live QuickBooks Technical Support through QuickBooks 2018 software from May 31, 2021. This can be a significant challenge for users who need to work with a lot of accounting data. Errors can substantially lower your productivity, so the best thing to do is to subscribe to a third party service provider for QuickBooks 2018 live support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will the QuickBooks Discontinuation Policy impact users who have a subscription of QuickBooks Desktop?
If you purchased a subscription for QuickBooks Desktop rather than a one time license, then you can upgrade and activate the product for free. In this case, we recommend that you always upgrade your accounting software to the latest available version.
I am getting the error ‘QuickBooks Desktop has reached the expiration date and will no longer open company files’. How can I resolve this?
This QuickBooks Error isn’t related to QuickBooks Discontinuation Policy. To resolve this error, you need to reactivate the product or reinstall it.
How long is QuickBooks 2018 Good For?
Intuit has a 3-year lifecycle. You will need to update your software if you want to keep using certain functions that are no longer supported in the newest version of their software, which will be released in May 2018.