The QuickBooks abort error message mainly triggers because of the corrupted program file. However, there are many other reasons for QuickBooks keeps aborting issues. For instance, if QuickBooks Desktop suddenly closes or fails to start working on the company file or saving the advanced update transactions. When this error happens, it asks the users to close the ongoing process and resume it by restarting QuickBooks. The below article is rounded up with the troubleshooting guide to fix QuickBooks keeps aborting.
Why is QuickBooks Keeps Aborting Error?
QuickBooks abort issue generally triggers when opening the QuickBooks company file. It mainly occurs if there are damaged QBWUSER.INI files, corrupted windows, or hardware errors.
What are the Reasons Behind the Abort Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
There are Several Causes for the Occurrence of QuickBooks Abort error message:
- Missing or corrupted QBWUSER.INI files damaged windows, or hardware issues
- Antivirus or firewall in system suddenly crashes the ongoing processes
- Multiple systems hosting the company file of QuickBooks
- Enabled hibernation or sleep while saving company files on the computer
- Data flow disruption
- Corrupted QuickBooks software
- Unstable internet connection
- Compatibility errors
- Computer hard drive
- Damaged Operating system
Read This: QuickBooks Keeps Crashing
How to Rectify Abort Errors in QuickBooks?
Here is the list of steps to fix the abort error in QuickBooks:
Solution 1- Rename the QBWUSER.ini file to fix the abort error in QuickBooks:
Follow the below steps to fix the damaged QBWUSER.ini file:
- Open the window named Windows file explorer
- Click C drive button
- Next, follow the below path as
- [User name] > App Data > Intuit > QuickBooks[year].
- Open the QuickBooks folder
- Next, discover the file named QBWUSER.ini
- Give a right-click on the QBWUSER.ini file and then hit Rename button
- Next, embed the.OLD at the file name end and then click Enter option
- Search into the same folder for .ecml and rename it
Solution 2- Use the Tool Hub Utility:
Use the File Doctor tool to fix the issue. Here are the steps:
If the QB file doctor fails to resolve the QuickBooks abort error message then use the QuickBooks fix my program button using QuickBooks Tool Hub. Here are the steps:
- Click Tool Hub
- Choose the Program problems option
- Hit QuickBooks fix my program button
- Close the program, launch the QuickBooks and start data file loading
- Now use the clean install tool
Solution 3- Check the QuickBooks Server & Workstations Hosting Status:
- At the server system open the QuickBooks
- Locate Files menu
- Hit Utilities button
- Choose the option named Stop hosting to multi-user access
- Next, locate the Files menu
- Choose the tab named Host multi-user access using the Utilities option
- Launch company file to check issue is resolved
Solution 4- Add ND New Extension:
ND (Network Data) File is known as the network configuration file of the QB desktop. It permits QuickBooks to access the data across the network and rename the .ND file. Here is the list of steps to rename the ND extension:
- First of all close the QuickBooks
- Locate the folder named QuickBooks company file
- At the Company file folder then search for the .ND extension file
- Now rename the extension of the file with OLD/New
- Restart the system and then launch the QuickBooks Desktop
Solution 5- Find the Corrupted Company File:
Here are the steps:
- Locate the windows search button
- Find the file type
- Enter the search option and then enter the file name extension followed by the asterisk(*) symbol within the search field enter *.qba extension
- For transferring accountants files for QB company file
- Next, open the file location with the right file type
Solution 6- Set the Suitable Permissions to Access the Installation Folder of QuickBooks:
- First of all open the file explorer, and search for the below location: “C: \ Program Files \ Common Files.”
- Edit the folder security settings labeled common file using a right-click on it
- Select the Properties button
- Click Security option
- Hit Edit tab
- Choose Users below usernames or group
- Modify the permissions below the user option permission, modify it and then permit the write, read & execute options
- At last click on OK
Here the article completes! Hopefully, the write-up helped you in fixing the QuickBooks abort error. In case of any other help or if none of the solutions works then get advanced professional assistance. Use a live chat, email address, or phone number to reach the team.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Fix the Abort Error Using the Rebuild data utility?
1. Yes, run the QuickBooks
2. Hit the File button to expand the menu named File
3. Click Utilities tab
4. Using the drop-down button on the window choose the tab which says verify Data
5. Click OK option
6. It will start the tool
7. Once identified data damage locate the File button
8. Below the Utilities Options then choose Rebuild data
9. Hit OK once fixed the data
10. Verify if the data repair helps in resolving the error
Can backup restore helps in fixing the QuickBooks abort error?
Yes, many times the backup restore is a great savior! It helps in fixing any type of error.
What if I need to resolve the QuickBooks abort issue in multi-user mode?
To rectify the aborting issue in multi-user mode you can use the QBDB server manager scan option. Moreover, you can use the Intuit File doctor tool to fix network & damage company file errors.
Can the damaged QBWuser.ini file be the root of the QuickBooks abort error?
Yes, the corrupted QBWuser.ini file can cause QuickBooks to keep aborting errors.
What Prerequisite do I Need for Fixing QuickBooks abort error?
1. Double click on the QuickBooks icon
2. Hit Help button
3. Choose Update QuickBooks Desktop
4. Click the QuickBooks Desktop update button
5. Choose Option
6. Now select all the available options
7. Hit the Update now button
8. Unselect option labeled reset update QuickBooks desktop
9. Hit the Get updates tab