Users often encounter issues with the QuickBooks app crashing unexpectedly, and this is when a Windows-generated error message appears that displays “QuickBooks has stopped working.” It also shows an error message “A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, or Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.” If QuickBooks is not responding, you’ll most likely see an error message which says “QuickBooks cannot be opened. A program error occurred.” Keep reading for more information about how to fix the issue.
What are the Major Reasons Behind QuickBooks Stopping Working Errors?
- Windows operating system files are damaged.
- There are damaged or corrupt sectors on your hard disk.
- Corrupted QBWUSER.INI file
- Damaged QuickBooks desktop installation
- QuickBooks is not correctly installed on Windows.
- If the QuickBooks company file contains characters beyond the limit
Signs and Symptoms of QuickBooks Stopped Working Error
Here are the symptoms you might see if the QuickBooks has stopped, not responding or won’t open:
- It starts freezing and becoming non-responsive as soon as I open it for the first time.
- The mouse pointer and keyboard start to lag on the QuickBooks window.
- QuickBooks crashes when you open the company file without any error message or warning.
- Your computer will shut down automatically
- Computer’s screen will freeze and stops working
- Your QuickBooks software freezes and doesn’t respond to your input commands
- Check out if you have disabled or excluded the antivirus protection on the system before running QuickBooks.
- Ensure that you log in using Windows administrative rights
Get a Free User Guide “Why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2023”
Headache Huh, Looking to Upgrade from Your Current Version of QuickBooks?. But frustrated which version will be best suited according to your need. Don’t worry, Get a comprehensive list of reasons, why you should upgrade to the QuickBooks 2023 version.
Get these 20 tips on why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2023.
Steps to fix QuickBooks Has Stopped Working Error:
Troubleshooting steps of QuickBooks not opening are most commonly associated with software halt and freeze. You can do the below mentioned procedures to resolve these issues.
Ensure that these errors are Windows OS specific, so you should only try to fix it on your own risk. If you’re comfortable performing the actions below, follow these technical methods. Otherwise, consulting a professional or the manufacturer is recommended.
Before proceeding ahead let’s take care of these initial steps.
- Firstly Restart your PC
- Now Open QuickBooks Software
- Click on Start > All Programs > Right Click on QuickBooks
- Press Ctrl key and open QuickBooks
Read This: QuickBooks Keeps Aborting
Method 1: Download and use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (QBinstall Tool)
QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool is specifically developed to counter issues due to faults in the QuickBooks installation. Following the instructions below will help you install QuickBooks Tool Hub to run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Click here to download and install QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Double-click the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to start the installation.
- Make sure you read and agree to our terms and conditions, and follow the on-screen prompts to finish the installation.
- Close all running applications on Windows before running the QB Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Double-click the Tool Hub icon on your desktop to install it.
- Click the Program Installation Issues tab. Select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and run any available scans.
- Perhaps you have a computer that is slow. The repair time can take up to 25 minutes.
- Once the tool finishes fixing errors with the installation, restart your Windows and open QuickBooks again. If you continue to find QuickBooks not responding, follow this troubleshooting step.
- If the settings in the downloaded file cannot run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, click on QuickBooks Tool Hub to select your diagnostic option.
Method 2- Scan and Repair System hard-disk
This section will cover some common issues that might cause your applications to run slower. The sections below show steps on how to identify if there are any bad sectors and ways to fix them for better performance.
The hard drive bad sectors are the general factors that trigger the application performances. Sometimes, it slow-down the system or freezes the QuickBooks. Here is the list of instructions you need to follow to scan & repair the system hard-disk:
- First of all open Windows File manager using the shortcut Windows+E
- Next, give a right-click on the C drive
- Choose the Properties button and below the Tools hit Check now
- Place a mark on the options Automatically fix file system errors & scan for and attempt bad sector recovery
- Hit the Start button and wait till the system windows complete the repair procedure
Method 3- Edit QBWUSER.INI file
QBWUSER.INI is known as the QuickBooks program file with product registration information. Hence whenever the file gets corrupted then there is a greater change of errors running QuickBooks. Follow the below instructions to rename the QBUSER.INI file:
- Initially Open Windows File Manager
- Locate \Users\User Name \AppData\Local\ Intuit\QuickBooks
- search QBWUSER.INI file.
- In case you failed to view the file then hit Folder
- Find Options below the Organize option at the top left corner of the page
- Below the view tab place, a mark on the button labeled Show hidden files, drivers, or folders
- Hit Apply button and then click OK
- Give a right-click on the file
- Choose Rename button
- Place an extension.OLD at the file name end
- Next Open QuickBooks Desktop
- Verify whether the error is fixed or not
Method 4- Use the Different Locations to Open the Company File:
- Open the Windows Explorer
- Find data file with .qbw file extension
- Search for the file in the network drive
- Give a right-click and then choose copy after searching the company file
- Locate C: Drive
- Now create a new folder
- Give a name to the folder as QBTEST
- Next, open the folder and then paste there the company file
- Hold the CTRL key to open QuickBooks
- Choose Restore “An existing company” via the C:\QBTEST folder
- At last open the company file you copied in the QBTEST folder
Method 5- Use a Clean Install to Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks:
The clean installation tool is used to delete the existing files & folders with QuickBooks installation. The below steps for QuickBooks program uninstallation:
- Open Run window using Windows+R
- Enter appwiz.cpl and hit OK
- Below Programs & Features tab, choose QuickBooks
- Select Uninstall
- Hit Yes, if there displays a prompt
- Choose Next button
- Select Remove
- Click Next button
- Hit Remove option
- It may take a few minutes to uninstall QuickBooks using the system
- Once uninstalled QuickBooks hit the Finish button
Use the Clean Installation Tool to Reinstall QuickBooks:
- Firstly download & perform QuickBooks Tools Hub installation
- Double-click on the QB Tool Hub icon
- If it prompts hit on Yes button
- It will display QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Hit on Installation Issues
- Choose Clean Install Tool
- Select QuickBooks Version & Product version
- Hit Continue
Also Read: QuickBooks Keeps Crashing
Method 6: Create a New Admin User for QuickBooks
Create a new user account in Windows and then try to open your company file using the new user account.
Method 7- Run Quick fix my Program using QuickBooks Tool Hub:
The QuickBooks Tool Hub assists you to rectify general errors. Here are the steps:
- First of all close the QuickBooks
- Click the QuickBooks Tool Hub option
- Now save the file on easy to an accessible location
- Open the downloaded file
- Next, follow the steps on the screen to install & agree to the terms & conditions
- Once completed the installation, double-click on the icon on the Windows desktop to launch the tool hub
In case you failed to discover the icon then find the QuickBooks Tool Hub windows and choose the program
- Open the Tool Hub and run the Quick Fix the program with below steps:
- Choose the “Program problems” button and click QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Click Quick Fix my program option
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and launch the data file
Read This: QuickBooks Messaging Has Stopped Working
Now use Tool Hub to run QuickBooks and Install the Diagnostic tool. It automatically discovers the errors using QuickBooks program users. Here are the steps:
- Launch the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Open the Tool Hub then choose the Program Problems button
- Click on QuickBooks Program Diagnostic Tool
- It might take your 20 minutes
- Once completed the tool then restart the system and re-launch QuickBooks.
Hopefully, the information helped you with a list of manual resolutions to fix QuickBooks that stopped working in error. But it might be risky to work with sensitive company data on QuickBooks Desktop if tried to resolve it by yourself. Or sometimes the users might become incapable to rectify the QuickBooks not responding errors. In such a case, they can reach the professional team. Use a live chat, email, or phone number to reach the experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Rebooting the QuickBooks Desktop fix the QuickBooks stopped working error?
Yes, the majority of the time system reboots work
How would I delete the Entitlement file in QuickBooks Desktop?
1. Open Run window
2. Fill C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8.
3. If you are not able to find then find C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6 and Hit OK
4. Give a right-click on the file named EntitlementDataStore.ecml
5. Click Delete and hit Yes
How would I create a new user in Windows 10?
1. Click the Windows start icon
2. Choose Settings button
3. Select Accounts option
4. Click the “Family & other users” tab
5. Choose “Add someone else to This PC”
6. Follow the steps on the screen to create a new user
What symptoms do I follow for the QuickBooks stopped working error?
1. The QuickBooks gets frozen or the windows become un-responsive
2. There is a delay when using a mouse click
3. QuickBooks closes unexpectedly without any error message display
4. The windows application slows down