Company file access in QuickBooks is a general task for performing account-related operations in QuickBooks. However, when trying to access the QuickBooks company file, it might display an error message or error warnings. The below post will discuss the troubleshooting steps to resolve the error” Unable to access QuickBooks company file”. Let’s delve into the below article to know the quick fixes with causes.
What are the Causes That Trigger QuickBooks Company File Access Failure?
You may fail to open the company file because of the below factors:
- Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks company file
- Wrong file types are used to open the company file
- If the file is already open by some other users in the same shared network
- Wrong QuickBooks version to access files
- Errors may occur such as compression files, encrypted files or access permissions, or sometimes data corruption
- Sometimes large reports or files freeze QuickBooks
- The wrong version of QuickBooks has been used to open particular files
Sometimes renaming QuickBooks company file may resolve issue instantly .When QuickBooks restricts you to access the company file you may encounter error messages along with the error codes such as: the -6000 series, or the HXXX series, C= errors (such as C=343 or C=422), and number of unrecoverable errors and many more. These errors end up with critical consequences if not resolved in the right time. So it is suggested to approach QuickBooks US support team for fetching feasible resolution for the errors.
How to Rectify the Company File Won’t Open Error?
If you are failed to fix the Company file unable to open the error then here are the steps you need to follow:
Method 1: Verify You Have Downloaded the Latest QuickBooks Updates:
Here are the steps to update QuickBooks Desktop to an advanced release:
- Firstly close the QuickBooks and company files
- Next click the Windows start menu
- Find QuickBooks Desktop
- Give a right-click on the icon
- Choose the Run as administrator button
- It will display No Company open window
- Click Help button
- Choose Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Click Options button
- Choose Mark All and then click Save
- Select Update Now & click checkbox labeled Reset Update
- Click the Get Updates tab
Method 2- Switch off Workstations Hosting:
If the company file failed to host across the network and you failed to use Multi-user modes then you can skip these instructions. Follow the steps:
- Open the QuickBooks software on the workstation
- Click the File option and click “Utilities” button
- If you view the option named Host Multi-user Access. Without choosing it scroll to the next workstation
- Choose if the Stop Hosting Multi-user Access option is visible
- Follow the same procedure on all the workstations
- Next, verify all workstations and then open the Server that is hosting the company file. Follow the below steps:
- Open server and then QuickBooks on it
- Click the File button and click Utilities tab
- Select the option labeled Host Multi-User Access
- Click Settings and follow the same procedure
- Choose Stop Hosting Multi-user access
- Next click Host Multi-user Access
Method 3- Verify File Properties:
- First of all click the Start menu
- Click File Explorer
- Search for the company file
- Click Advanced button
- Click uncheck the checkboxes Encrypt & compress
- Hit OK
Method 4- Rename the Company file’s ND and TLG files:
Locate the ND and TLG files and rename them to create the QuickBooks fresh version with the below steps:
- Click the Windows Start button
- Enter File Explorer into the search box
- Click File Explorer
- Find the folder with the company file
- Search the ND and TLG files with the same name as mentioned in company file
- Locate and then right-click on the file
- Choose Rename
- Now add Old to file names
- Once you are done with this open QuickBooks & company file to automate the TLG & ND files creation. Follow the steps to rename:
- Open the folder with the TLG file folder
- Give a right-click on it and then click Rename button
- Modify the file names of both TLG and company file name
- Next open QuickBooks & company file
Method 5- Company File Movement:
Sometimes the location of the company file might be the error reason. So you need to move the company file to the other location. Here are the steps:
- Open Start button
- Enter File Explorer into the field
- Click File Explorer
- Find the company file folder and right-click on it
- Click Copy and then paste it
- Give a right-click on the copied company file and then click Rename button
- Provide a name as Test
- Next open QuickBooks
- Find the File menu and then click Open/Restore company
- Choose the copied company file to the desktop
- Click Open Company
- If you can now able to access the company file then it ensures that there is a location error. So move the copied company file from Windows Desktop to the actual folder. Now use this location to access the company file.
- Discover the copied company file, right-click on it and then choose Rename
- Add the old to the file end
If there is a large report then here are the steps to prevent the window from the opening:
- First of all open QuickBooks Desktop
- It will open no company wizard
- Choose the company file on the list
- Hold the ALT button on the keyboard
- Click Open
- Add the login credential if asked
- Once you access the company files then disable the save during closing feature with below steps:
- Choose Edit button
- Click Preferences tab
- Choose the button named Desktop View
- Click on the button which says Don’t Save the desktop
- Hit OK
- Close the QuickBooks and then check whether the error is fixed or not
Get a Free User Guide “Why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2022”
Headache Huh, Looking to Upgrade from Your Current Version of QuickBooks?. But frustrated which version will be best suited according to your need. Don’t worry, Get a comprehensive list of reasons, why you should upgrade to the QuickBooks 2022 version.
Get these 20 tips on why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2022.
Still in Confusion?
Hopefully, the post is beneficial for you to resolve QuickBooks’s unable to company file error. If none of the above methods work then get connected with a professional team. Use a live chat, email address, or phone number to reach the team to know in-depth resolutions or other queries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Running a Diagnostic Tool Helps in Fixing Unable to Access Company File?
1. Yes, using the QuickBooks tool hub you can run the Diagnostic tool
2. Next, run a repair for the installation files
Can Wrong File Types be the Reason for Being Unable to Open the Company File Error?
Yes, the QuickBooks Desktop file types differences might fail to open the company file. So check you are trying to open the QuickBooks company file using a QB extension at the file name end.
How Would I Search for the unable to Access Company File Error?
1. Click Start menu
2. Enter the File Explorer window and then launch File Explorer
3. Search the QuickBooks.exe file in the QuickBooks folder
4. Now hold down the CTRL key on the keyboard
5. Next double-click on the QuickBooks.exe
6. Open company file
7. Next open QuickBooks Desktop however if you are unable to open the company file then click the Open a sample file button
QuickBooks Keeps Crashing
QuickBooks Keeps Aborting
QuickBooks Won’t Open
Yes, our company was the victim of a ransomware attack and our QB company files along with the backup files were all corrupted, we have some temp backups, such as the .dsn file. is it possible to restore a company file from the .dsn file?
Hi im encountering a “unrecoverable error” code when trying to access my company files on qb enterprise. Can you help? I would prefer a phone all over emailing.