QuickBooks error can’t open after Windows update encountered when the software is damaged or corrupted. The solution is mentioned-below that you have to do accordingly to get it resolved in no time. The team has provided the solution so that you can do it on your own but still if you have any issue then directly connect with the QuickBooks Support by MyOnePro.
You might experience an issue opening your QuickBooks company file (QBW) after updating Windows 10. This is a common problem for many users who encounter the QB executable error and can block them from accessing their QuickBooks Company file (QBW). Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take before calling a qualified professional or Intuit support to resolve it:
Why QuickBooks Not Working After Windows Update
QuickBooks desktop pro for Windows is the most-favored small business accounting tool. It is used for keeping track of all financial transactions, tax, bills, and sales reports and quickly handle all the needed invoices and receipts with its invoicing and expense management solution. The most important thing is that it is completely compatible with Windows 7, 8.1, and all the later introduced OS. Many users have reported issues with their QuickBooks while working on a Windows 10 system, especially when new Windows updates are installed
Reasons for QuickBooks Stopped After MS Windows Update
- If you are not an Admin in your Windows so first log in as the admin
- The antivirus is interrupting the software to work properly
- The software got corrupt or damaged
- A file is removed or missing
- User Account Control (UAC) configurations have to be changed.
Troubleshooting Steps QB Stopped Working After Windows Update
Solution 1: Restore to a Previous Build (Version) of Windows 10
A few users reported that they could open QuickBooks after restoring Windows 10 to an earlier version. Doing so will remove any apps or drivers installed after downloading upgrades that might have stopped QB from opening.
Keep your computer running smoothly by restoring Windows 10 to a previous version.
- Click the Windows Start icon, click ‘Settings.’ On the ‘Settings’ screen, click ‘Update & Security.’
- Click the red “Recovery” tab on the left pane, open up the “Go back to an earlier build” section. Click on “Get Started” and follow the prompts
- After you’ve restored Windows 10 to an earlier build, restore QuickBooks.
The Downside of this Method
This is only a temporary solution and not a permanent fix. As well, you won’t be able to work with apps that have been rolled out with the latest Windows 10 update. For example, you won’t be able to work with Windows Mail or other apps after downgrading to Windows 8.1.
Solution 2: Troubleshoot Compatibility
- To open the Windows file location for QuickBooks, click the search bar, type ‘QuickBooks’, and then right-click on the result.
- Select and right-click on the QB file, and then click ‘Properties.’
- Open the Properties dialog box, and from the ‘Run the program in the compatibility mode for’ drop-down box, select Windows (8.1/8/7)
- Click Apply, and then press the OK button.
Now try opening QB. If it doesn’t open, try the workarounds below.
The Downside of this Method
Running in compatibility mode with an older version of Windows will prevent the use of you from using features available with a newer versions.
Solution 3: Block QuickBooks Access to the Internet
Caution! This workaround requires you to block the QuickBooks executable file (QBW32.EXE) from accessing the Internet. Disabling this QB feature could damage the QB installation and its data. So, make sure you back up your data before trying this workaround.
Installing and managing a firewall rule to stop the QuickBooks executable file (QBW32.EXE) from accessing the Internet does not always work, so you might be able to launch QB without any issue by following these steps:
- On the system where you’re getting the ‘QuickBooks not opening’ issue, open Control Panel, and then select Windows Firewall.
- On the Windows Firewall window, click ‘Advanced Settings’ from the left navigation pane.
- When the ‘Windows Firewall with Advanced Security’ window appears, click ‘Outbound Rules.’ Next, from the ‘Actions’ pane in the right, click ‘New Rule.’
- On the ‘Rule Type’ window, click the ‘Program’ radio button, then click the ‘Next’ button.
- On the ‘Program’ window, check the ‘This Program Path’ radio button. You can then type in the following path in the program path box.
For 64-bit Windows installations:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010\QBW32.EXE
For 32-bit Windows installations:
C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010\QBW32.EXE
- Press the ‘Next’ button.
- On the ‘Action’ window, choose the ‘Block the connection’ option, and then click ‘Next.’
- Go to the ‘Profile’ window on your website and make sure that ‘Domain,’ ‘Private,’ and ‘Public’ are selected. Then press the ‘Next’ button.
- On the ‘Name’ windows, assign a meaningful name to the new firewall rule (for instance, Block QB Internet Connection), then press ‘Finish’.
- Exit the Windows Firewall window.
Once you’ve blocked QB from using the Internet, you won’t have any issues with Windows upgrade.
The Downside of this Method
This method works well if a QuickBooks desktop file is accessed on the same PC as the Windows 8.1 desktop which hosts QuickBooks Desktop. But this method won’t work if a different PC hosts the SilverStripe database you want to open on the LAN.
Read This: QuickBooks Has Stopped Working
Solution 4: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
If none of the workarounds help, use QuickBooks’ tools. The detailed steps are below:
- Launch QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- On the tool hub window, click the ‘Installation Issues’ tab.
- Click on the ‘QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.’
Note: Let the tool diagnose issues preventing QB from opening. It will take up to 20 minutes to complete its process.
Allow the machine to restart when the tool has finished its repair process.
The Downside of this Method
This does not guarantee that QB will open.
Troubleshooting common QuickBooks Desktop errors
There can be different errors that different people can come across. Let us explore some of the common errors that one person can face with QuickBooks using Windows 10, along with their respective set of fixations methods.
QuickBooks error code 3371 after Windows 10 update
QuickBooks could not load the license data. This error may be caused by a missing or damaged file.
The error code 3371 that QuickBooks is giving you can be solved by deleting the ecml file. The solution in these steps is listed below.
- Press “Windows key” and then “R key.”
- Later, enter this path C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8 in the window.
- Further, the Windows explorer will open up.
- Close the Ecml file and also close the window.
- To add the item to QuickBooks, click “register item” from the toolbar.
Get a Free User Guide “Why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2023”
Headache Huh, Looking to Upgrade from Your Current Version of QuickBooks?. But frustrated which version will be best suited according to your need. Don’t worry, Get a comprehensive list of reasons, why you should upgrade to the QuickBooks 2023 version.
Get these 20 tips on why to Upgrade to QuickBooks 2023.
Quickbooks Enterprise 2014 Crash or Quickbooks Crashing
It is possible that the QuickBooks desktop program crashes when updated with Windows 10, this error might occur in some cases. Use few simple steps to fix it.
If you are experiencing QuickBooks crashing error after Windows 10 upgrade, you can try troubleshooting the issue by updating your desktop. Let’s go through a few steps.
- If you are using an outdated version of QuickBooks and have not made changes, then use the Help menu to update your program.
- Hit a click on Update QuickBooks option.
- Now you can clear all previous update downloads using the Update now tab.
- Now choose the Get updates tab and start with the download process.
- Next, you should Restart QuickBooks when the download finishes.
- You can choose to install the latest release when you’re asked for it.
- This would resolve the issue up to certain degree.
A Solution to fix the QuickBooks Will Not open after MS Windows update
- Initially Open your system and then logged in as the Admin
- After a successful admin login
- Right-click on the QuickBooks icon
- Then select the option Run as Administrator from the drop-down options
- Stop the antivirus from blocking the antivirus by changing its settings
- You have to stop the antivirus and then rename the folder
- Press and hold the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys together to open the taskbar
- Now click on the tab named Processes
- Click on the name of the antivirus from the list shown to you
- Then click on the end task button
- After that close the Task Manager
- Rename the QuickBooks update folder
- Open the File Manager by pressing and holding the Windows+E keys altogether
- Type the path as “C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components”. For 64-bit- “C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components”
- On the downloadqbXX file right-click and select the option named Rename
- Add the .old at the file name’s end
- Update the QuickBooks software now.
- UAC has to be Disabled
- Search the Control Panel
- From the results, double-click on the Control Panel to open it
- In this window, click on the User Accounts
- Then again click on the User Accounts under that
- Select the option change the User Account Control settings
- You need to move it to Never notify
- Then click on the button OK to turn it off
- Again you have to move the slider to the Always notify option and select the OK button on the UAC.
- For Selective startup, you have to do the installation cleanly
- Open the RUN window by pressing and holding the Windows+R keys
- In the RUN window, type the MSConfig and click on the button named Browse
- Now select the Selective startup option from the General tab
- Then system services have to be loaded
- Click on the Hide all MS services in the Services tab
- Disable all and then uncheck the Hide all MS services
- The Windows installer box have to be tick marked in the list of services
- If it is not then checked it and then click on the OK button
- In the end, you have to restart your system.
Support QB Not Launching After Windows 7,8 ,10 Update
If you are facing issues , QuickBooks Errors or have some query then immediately reach the team to get the solution. Dial the MyOnePro Toll Free Toll-Free +1516.494.3146 or send the email MyOnePro via contact us form or do a live chat with them. The members of the team are available 365 days a year so they provide you answers to all your glitches. The team is happy to provide you the best assistance whenever required. So feel free to get in touch with the QuickBooks USA Support team.